Time Management Top Tips!

January 14th 2019

If there’s one thing we’d all like more of, it’s time! We all get the same 24 hours in a day, yet some people seem to achieve so much more in the same amount of time. Why is that and how do they do it? We’ve put together some top tips on time management to help you maximise on your time and achieve more from your day!

 

Delegation & Outsourcing

I know, this one is so much easier said than done but it’s absolutely vital to make sure that the things you’re working on are maximum impact tasks only. When you take ownership of a project or task it can be easy to take full responsibility for every single thing that needs doing in order for it to be completed so that it gets done your way. The truth is that’s not the most productive use of your time! 20% of the work you do usually equates to 80% of the result and 80% of the work makes up the other 20% of the result. So, make sure you’re focusing on those big impact tasks that make up the 80% and delegate more junior or simple tasks with less impact to other team members.

Outsourcing is also a great way to save time if there isn’t anyone within your organisation that can execute what you need. If you’re looking to source an office, find a venue or book some travel for example, there are companies that will do this for you so be smart and utilise them!

 

Planning in Advance

Having a plan for the day is great for keeping you on track. It’s best to do this each evening for the next day so as soon as you get to work in the morning, you know exactly what needs to be achieved that day and what to focus on! Be smart with your planning, a lot of us fall into the trap of doing non-priority tasks first thing in the morning like checking our emails. Just have a quick scan to see if anything is urgent and don’t get distracted by unimportant emails just yet. Plan to do the most difficult and important tasks first before your brain gets clogged up with the day to day stuff! Your brain is sharpest in the morning so get to the more taxing tasks during this time to be more effective and productive. Also, consider the days of the week that you decide to complete certain tasks. Generally, people are much more productive on a Monday & Tuesday than on a Friday for example. Plan to do things like catch up calls and non-urgent meetings on a Friday as your team and customers will probably be in the same headspace too!

 

Disappear!

We’ve all been there… you’ve got a tonne of work to get through, the deadline is looming and all of a sudden, every man and his dog needs to speak to you about something! If you’re up against a deadline and you need to get your head down, cut yourself off from the world and get it done. Close your emails, put your out of office on, log out of your phone and put a ‘please do not disturb’ sign on your door or find somewhere away from your usual workspace to work so people don’t know where to find you.

 

Drop the Multitasking

You may feel like a hero for being able to do 5 things at once, but the truth is, you’re more than likely being less effective by doing this. One of the main culprits of this is email. That little box that pops up in the corner to notify you and takes you out of your flow. It takes our brain a little while to refocus on what we are doing once we are interrupted and all that time accumulated throughout the day certainly adds up! Try switching off the notifications or better yet, closing your emails completely and allocating specific times in your diary for checking and responding to emails.

April 17th 2019

Growing case load for legal firm as Brexit looms

GBS UK Immigration’s Victoria Girsa with thank-you cards from grateful clients. She is pictured in her office at Portsmouth Technopole the landmark building at Kingston Crescent, which is home to 38 companies. With up to 350 people on site, the centre is part of the University of Portsmouth’s innovation centre network. GBS UK Immigration specialises in fixed-fee immigration advice.

April 17th 2019

Adam drives recruitment growth

Adam Hardy, founder and director of Sourced Recruitment, which operates from Portsmouth Technopole. He started his firm in a flat and moved into the thriving business hub, owned by the University of Portsmouth and operated by Oxford Innovation, just over a year ago. Sourced now employs three people, with a fourth appointed in March, and is looking to upsize workspace on site due to expansion.

March 13th 2019

Drink up! Why hydration is key to being productive!

It’s one thing we should all probably do more of – drink water! It can be so easy to go through the day drinking tea and coffee and neglecting to hydrate our bodies properly with water. We rely on the caffeine to keep us alert and performing throughout the day but what a lot of people don’t realise is the part that good old water can play in keeping you focused!